The Wednesday before Eddie and I found out about the twins we had put our house on the market for sale.
We moved into our lovely home almost 5 years ago when Ella was only 2 a Liana wasn't even born. We love our neighbors, our house, our yard, everything except for our school district, which though filled by many lovely people, our district's focus seems to be directed at getting kids to meet the minimum in Elementary school, keeping them from dropping out in Middle school, and keeping them out of prison in High School. I applaud the hard working efforts of all concerned, but as we have the opportunity to move into a district where our daughters can be challenged to excel and not just survive, we felt like we needed to take the leap.
We tried (when I was pregnant with Nina) to sell our home two years ago, we had it on the market for 6 months and had only 2 people ever even come to see it. With this as our past experience we were a little hesitant to hope for much.
On the Friday we found out about the twins we called our Realtor and told her that the 3 bedroom homes we had been considering were not going to cut it, and we needed to look a little bigger. Of course bigger means more money, or a less nice neighborhood, or a fixer-upper. We looked at all of the above and found houses with cemented in rock-scape backyards, "designer" paint jobs that looked like jello pudding smeared on the wall, homes where thrifty evictees had taken everything from the toilet fixtures and wall moldings to literally the kitchen sink.
We debated the merits of the best schools and little houses over really good schools with bigger houses. We drove up to the model homes of new constructions and did some daydreaming. We talked about all of it and waited to see if we could even sell our home in the first place.
When our realtor called back she had good news, we had a full price offer already, by the next Monday we had several full price offers, we countered on several of those and got 2 back, more counters, and to make a long story short, by the following Friday, only 10 days after listing, we accepted an offer to sell our home.
The next morning after much soul searching, thought, and prayer we drove on up to the new constructions and signed our contract for a beautiful new home scheduled to be completed November 12, 2009.
For those of you familiar with the standard 30 day escrow yes, that means that we are currently packing cleaning up for the inspectors and appraisers that are coming, and we will be homeless for a couple of months, 2 months to be exact. We won't be on the streets, there are several short term rental condos etc. available in the area (this is the project for this week, finding our intermediate housing.)
I think I may be insane, because while I am stressed out, terrified and worried about moving twice, living in a short term rental, being pregnant with twins, and all the daily functions of life, I am also really calm about this decision. It really is the right choice for us, and come Thanksgiving, you are all welcome to come on by, because we will have plenty of room, and plenty of paint-brushes so you can help us decorate our new home! (if you don't paint, don't worry, you can rub my feet, unload boxes, or even cook my turkey, cuz I'm gonna be too pregnant to do anything helpful!)
7 comments:
Congratulations on your upcoming move. I'm excited for you to have a brand new home for your new twins to come home to. It's lots of work, but it will be clean and fresh and all yours. Good luck with the short-term living location. I'm delighted you were able to sell your home so quickly. New neighborhoods are very friendly places. Best wishes!
I'm so glad that you were able to sell quickly. The Lord is obviously on your side to make the move. Be careful that you don't do too much (although all things considered that might be difficult.) We would love to make a visit when we head south again.
Wow, that's all pretty exciting news!
Congrats on selling and finding a new home. Many new exciting things for you guys this year. Hopefully we'll get a chance to see you when we come down next month.
Congratulations again!! Thanksgiving & Christmas 2009 in your new mansion, with the twins + 3 lovely ladies + Mommy & Daddy...how exciting! I can't wait to see what color curtains Eddie picks out in the family room & other design innovations he may have this time...
Hurray and congratulations!!! I would that I could come and help decorate your new home, but if you'd seen my bedroom in high school, you'd very politely laugh and find some way to give me another job. There is oodles of providence in your life, and I wish you equal success and peace in finding your interim housing. Lots of hugs!
And thank you for the Muppets nostalgia. First album which was actually mine. Sang "Never Before" more times than any human really should...
Oh, where have I been? I neglected your blog and now I miss this?!!! Thank goodness I caught it on FB. What exciting news! Congratulations! I'll be sure and keep up better with your blog so I don't miss the next multiple births announcement.
Post a Comment