It's true, we do have all the stuff and we kind of have a handle on the diapering and emotional moods of girls, every baby and every girl has been different, but there are some things that are almost old hat for us at this point when dealing with little girls.
We have been anticipating the ultrasound that would hopefully tell us gender of this new little one, trying not to spend too much energy on that anticipation because with both Ella and Nina we didn't know for sure that we had girls till we saw them in person.
Pardon me for stepping back a bit, but when you see the ultrasounds from early weeks you realize what a marvel it is that we know anything at all about our babies that young in development.
Here is a scan of week 7 of our pregnancy,

basically we saw that there was indeed a baby, there was only one, and it had a heart developing.
Here is a scan of week 11,

now we see (sort of) that the baby has a face and little skeletal arms and legs.
So yes, not the clearest of images but they are pretty darn close to the original printout I have on my desk here, there is no HI-DEF clarity, but it sure is reassuring that the baby is growing and moving right along during those early weeks when the only proof I have that the baby is there is an overwhelming urge to purge.
So now we have come to week 16 , and because I am old (I turn 35 a month before my due date) I got to go see a Perinatologist last Friday just to make sure that everything was going well, and hopefully to find out if we need to track down the hand-me-down clothes in pink or blue.
Well, I won't hold you in suspense any longer, did in fact find out that one of the babies is a BOY!
Wait,.......what?........did she write "one of the babies?"
Why yes, yes I did, and now that I have had two days to adjust, I can type it without shaking, though I am still bursting into shocked laughter every few minutes.
When we first sat on the exam table, and the doctor set the scanner on my belly three big blobs showed on the screen, Eddie made the joke
"From that picture it looks like we are having triplets."
Dr. - "No, no, Isn't twins enough?"
me - "No, we're only having one baby"
Dr. - "You are having two babies, you didn't know that you are having twins?"
me - "No, it just isn't possible, we've had two scans already, are you sure?"
Jumping ahead a bit, she was very sure , here is a scan of our twins, or at least two round blobby things one on the left, one on the right, and the curly line in the middle is the dividing line where their two Amniotic sacs meet. They are measuring well and equally big.
Twin A gave us a lovely head shot,
and a nice view of it's spine, but not a money shot
Twin B gave us a nice profile, I think I can already see a resemblance to Eddie's full lips,
and he spread out a bit to enjoy the space and gave us this aerial view of his, well, his boy part
So we are happy, and in shock, and looking for a slightly bigger house, and we are now anticipating the gender of twin A, since I have to return every 4 weeks for scans now, maybe we will get the money shot yet.
I will post more info on due dates etc. when I get it, thank you all for you love and support, and prayers, we are going to need them all as we learn how to be a family of 7. Am I really going to be a mother of 5? it just seems so much more than 4.
Do you think I should get my co-pay back for the first few visits? maybe just half off?
13 comments:
Oh my goodness....congratulations times two!!!! WOW!!! I don't know what else to say other than "Holy Cow"!! Exciting news but I confess I would be a bit daunted by it all. I hope you're still feeling well and that those two babies continue to grow and be healthy and cause you no complications. CONGRATS!!
Shawnda
I'm in shock just reading. I can't imagine the feeling of having a Dr. tell me I had been duped! Congrats - 2 just means double the love (and tears, and smiles, and jokes, and everything else that comes with a these incredibly marvelous - and individual - spirits!)
And, I love that your girls grew 3 different varieties of corn. Any decision on the corn meal recipie??
Congratulations!!! Wow Twins! You and Eddie are great parents. Hope you are doing ok (as well as can be expected). Can't wait to visit CA again and see the two babies!
I laughed (with joy) when I heard you were having twins. It's always been a secret wish of mine (shh, don't tell). Congratulations. I'm so excited for you guys.
congratulations Jannah! That's awesome! Hi by the way, how are you doing?? I haven't talked to you in forever! I love blogs it's so fun to feel like you are keeping up with old friends lives!
Every time your twins come to mind I give a little giggle. Every time I consider taking care of two newborns I almost tear up. But I know you will do it, cause that's what you do! Love you.
We are so excited for you guys! I'll do what I can to help out! I'm thinking a few frozen meals or something! Congratulations!!!! That's really exciting!
I too giggle and chuckle...what fun! the good news is that you already have two girls old enough to entertain and change diapers! Maybe I'll bring Emily to you too...she loves diapers, feedings, holding, singing, amusing...get a baby around her and she becomes engrossed for a long time!!!
Congrats to all!!! My mom called and shared the good news with me. My sister-in-law found out she was having twins at her 20 week appointment when her previous appointments only showed one and her reaction was the same as yours. You'll have great helpers with your girls.
You brought me to tears..what an awesome surpise! This couldn't have happen to two better parents. You would have been a terific mother of 4 - easy, now 5 - no problem! By the way, you can tell Liana no wonder Truman always says "NO" when I offer to cut his hair. You are right...He probably gets nervous that I may cut his skin.
I'm so excited for you guys! I know you'll continue to be great parents (you ARE, you know...) even in those early months & weeks when everything feels just a wee bit crazy. It's so wonderful, Jannah! You should know that I tell pretty much all of my friends about it, so my apologies if your ears are burning... :)
Let the strech marks begin. I am excited for you to have twins. As a twin myself I loved having my brother with me through everything.
Good luck!
You will do GREAT as a mother of 5. You've got patience and perspective. What a busy, happy family you will be. CONGRATULATIONS (and best wishes!)
Post a Comment