Sunday, September 6, 2009

Big Brother P-Tah

Yesterday was my Older Bother's birthday - Oh I mean Older Brother! I thought I might take a tiny trip down memory lane to honor that occasion,

Let me start with the era that I actually have no memory of, in this picture my eldest brother is holding me (a wise decision given the ages of the options) But you will notice the charming expression on my other Brother, the birthday boy, "P-tah".

This expression could be saying many things "How you doin?" comes to mind as one option, but I like to think it is more "I am plotting the overthrow of this crying usurper, my baby sister!"
It was around this time that my mother came into my crib and found her small fragile infant daughter surrounded on all sides by Tonka trucks which had been lobbed over side of crib by the aforementioned brother in her absence - these were not the friendly plastic trucks of today either, Oh no, you may remember the die-cast metal construction that made them almost indestructible, and deadly weapons.

The next photo comes from an era I actually can recall sometimes, not vividly or in strong detail, but I remember being grossed out at the lunch table when he put ketchup on everything, including his Kool-aid. He had a nifty western style plaid shirt that I think had snaps on it in stead of buttons, and I remember more that once enjoying his "Incredible Hulk" impression as he burst his shirt off in anger. There were some tender moments during this era as well, I often got to play the kidnap victim or helpless (sometimes hog tied) hostage while my brothers played "A-team" with their friends.


I hove no photographic evidence of the next phase of life, I think this is due to the craftiness and intelligence of agent P-Tah, you see during the next phase he learned how to tie hangman's nooses at Boy Scouts (what else would you teach a young boy?)
Oh yes, I clearly remember walking to my back yard and seeing a dangling row of barbies and baby dolls in varying states of undress, swinging from nooses under the large tree in our backyard.

Shortly after this next little gem of a photo our family moved from Utah to Texas and then New Jersey, this ushered in a new era. Any torment dished out during this era may have been warrented, with that hairstyle and those glasses I was practically begging to be teased.

In some ways it was a more peaceful era, after all when the whole world is suddenly full of strangers your family becomes more important to you. In some ways it was more volatile, cuz when you are a frustrated kid who can you take out your frustrations on?

A specific torture moment I remember is him standing just inside the door of my room with his hand on my forehead as I tried desperately to reach him to get him out of my room. His reach was of course longer than mine and I flailed my arms in vain (ala the three stooges) for longer than I care to remember.

There were good times too, when I was a freshman in High School he was a senior and He made sure I wouldn't even think of getting into trouble. When he got his driver's licence he drove me a lot of places with minimal complaint. We watched "Better Off Dead" a few million times together. Bless his heart, even when there were no viable options he warned me against dating losers.

When we were at different universities he arranged a ride for me to come up to his school during "parent's weekend" The fact that it turned out to be the worst road trip of my life and that the driver in question was a little creepy, and continued to call for months after to say hello, really was not the fault of my brother, I really enjoyed being there with him, I was honored to be his family.

Later when we were at the same university he came to my productions, chatted up my roommates, and refrained from dating any of my friends. All admirable qualities that added to the quality of my life. He married a fabulous girl who doesn't let him get away with too much crap, which shows that he has good taste and is smart after all. He is very successful in his career and makes me proud to be his sister!

When we were children fighting constantly my mother would often say things like "Someday you'll pay long distance to call and talk to your siblings" She was right, and I was especially honored when My brother had his oldest daughter call me the other day to ask
"What should I do about my annoying brother, Dad said you would know."
The only answer I could really think of was something else my mother used to say
"It's just a phase, ignore him and he'll get bored, and someday he'll grow out of it."
Finally, after 30+ years I can say that it's true, I am no longer annoyed.

Happy Birthday P-Tah!

No comments: