Friday, January 23, 2009

Daddy's Special Chicken


By popular demand, the recipe for "Daddy's Special Chicken"*


6-8 Drumsticks of chicken**

1 Cup Sugar

2- 2 1/3 Cups Water

2/3 Cup Soy Sauce

3 sprigs fresh Rosemary (or 2 T dried)

1/2 Tsp fresh ground black Pepper

1 tsp Sriracha (rooster) hot chili sauce


Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil,
simmer until you can see the meat separating from the bone.
To thicken sauce (Which may well be the very best part of the dish) ,
1 T cornstarch
1 T cold water
Mix until all combined and milky in consistency,
add to boiling sauce
Serve with white rice.
Feel free to adjust the amounts of sugar and soy sauce to your family's tastes.


* (In interest of full disclosure, Eddie used to make "Shoyu" (or soy sauce) Chicken to woo women when he was in college. After we got married he cut down the amount of sugar and added more spice, I take full credit for introducing him to Rosemary, if you need some and you live in So Cal I have a very prosperous Rosemary plant and I am willing to share.)


** If you are one of those silly people who doesn't like drumsticks you can use any part of the chicken, even the white meat and it will still be tasty.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Eddie. I am goign to use your shoyu chicken to woo women. lol

Stewarts said...

I love it! Thanks for sharing your good eats! We've been known to borrow rosemary from the common space landscaping it grows everywhere here! Also we have spotted it in Ralph's parking lot landscaping. (We haven't been that desperate yet).

Growing Up Hui said...

Hmmmm, this recipe sounds similar to the Kailiponi Shoyu Chicken minus a few ingredients. Perhaps Daddy Au stole this recipe from Dave in attempt to steal those women in college...

Will said...

Heh, heh heh, I know what I'm requesting for "my" dinner this week. My wife's a good sport.

Kristin said...

Making it a second time for dinner. It is so tasty!