Last Friday we went out to eat as a family with several other families we know and love. The food an company were great, but apparently we shared more than just good times. The stomach/intestinal flu BLECHHHHH!
By and large we actually got off pretty easy, just a 24 hour bug and I am the only one in our family who actually threw up. Maybe because of my limited stomach space in the first place, or lowered immunity, at any rate, I could not keep anything down Saturday night into Sunday Morning. This dehydration set me into a pattern of contractions every 5 minutes for several hours and so I decided at 5:00 that I should call my OB and see what I should do.
The OB of course said go to Labor & Delivery.
Let me remind you that it was 5:00 Sunday, the girls are still asleep and I don't really want to take them along to the hospital. I call my friend P who I now refer to as "Super P." I called her because I figured her Husband "Tall C" is a very capable dad and would be able to cover the home front, and because my girls love her and would be OK waking up to her in the house instead of Eddie and I. Little did I realize that she had been up with her own sick child at 3 in the morning, that her capable husband had to be to the airport by 10:00. My super friend came right over anyway.
As soon as she arrived Eddie and I headed off to the hospital, where they put me on monitors and established that I was indeed contracting regularly, but that the babies were both doing well. Eddie took off to pick up his mother and bring her back to our house in time for Super P to get her husband "Tall C" off to the airport. Back at the hospital, after conferring with my OB they put me on an IV to rehydrate, and eventually gave me a shot to stop the contractions which it did. Blood tests confirmed that I had no infection and no signs of immediate dilation or progressing labor and so they sent us home
In the continuing spirit of gratitude, I am grateful for the following;
My husband who stayed calm and shuttled back and forth to make sure that the girls and I were all OK.
My Friend who rescued me and took great care of my girls, they were fed, dressed, and had their hair done before my mother-in-law came to relieve her.
My mother-in-law who stayed several days to make sure that I could rest and recover.
My father-in-law who went to work alone so that his wife could be here with us.
Modern Medicine one shot and a liter of liquid = a little longer to prepare for our twin blessings.
All my family and friends who care about us and send prayers our way!
2 comments:
Jannah-Bug (which now has a double meaning), I'm so glad that you and the babies are okay. It's so scary to be far along, vomiting, and becoming dangerously dehydrated. That's how I started labor with Aidan, though with him it was at least time to deliver, and it's still up for debate on whether it was a flu or his mechonium that poisoned me and turned the placenta green. Either way, I'm SO glad that, through all of this (the whole pregnancy), you have some great support around you in friends and in family. God bless them!! You deserve it as much as you've needed it. You do no less for most of the people in your life. Lots of love!! P.S. Aren't you excited about Emmie?! :)
Wow. Big stuff. I'm glad everything worked out. It's nice to have people that you can count on like family, when your family isn't around.
Post a Comment