Sunday, December 21, 2008

All that glitters is not princess nail polish...some of it is princess hair glitter!

This week we celebrated Liana's 4th birthday, and we did it in style!
All year long Ella and Liana have been talking about "When it's my birthday..." usually adding things like "everyone will dance a ballet with me" or "we should have only girls and no boys, except (every boy they know by name here). There are so many ideas and requests that I cannot even begin to listen to them until November when birthday season begins.

This year Liana told me she wanted a princess party with Cheetos. I was grateful because I know how to do that, but then the details began, "I want puffy Cheetos, not crunchy ones!" "I want glitter in our hair" (because she attended a fabulous party a few weeks ago where they had hair glitter and nail polish) - "I want some crafts to do and some pizzas you sprinkle things on, and I don't want a cake cuz I don't really like cakes. " And so it went.

I tried my best, we borrowed the hair glitter, bought some sparkly princess nail polish, made ponytail holders and clips for everyone to glue glitter onto, we strung sparkly beads onto pipe cleaner bracelets and even made some foam-sheet "watches" for boys to glitterfy. I bought the puffy Cheetos and the mini pizzas (which everyone, birthday girl included ate plain) We had chocolate and strawberry ice-cream, chocolate and strawberry syrup, whip cream (or whup cream if you are my daughters), and all manner of candy sprinkles.
We even had sparkly stuff in the goody bags, including shiny sunglasses which I think make the party photos spectacular.

At the end of the day as I was putting my exhausted girl to bed she asked me "Why did you want today to be my birthday party?"
Not quite sure what she meant, I answered that Saturdays were good party days, and it was before all her friends left for Christmas Holidays.

She asked me again "But why did you want today to be my birthday party?"
I thought a minute and said "Because I wanted to have a special day for my special girl, is that a good reason?"
"Yeah! Good night Mommy, I love you."

Tonight when I was putting her to bed she said "I hope I had a good birthday."

Liana my angel, I hope you did too!

2 comments:

Cath, Ray, and Mia said...

Too cute! I can't wait to start putting together birthday parties. :-) BTW...how did you get the fun background layout for your blog? I created one today and there weren't many fun choices. It was great seeing you Saturday. Hopefully we'll see you at Uncle Joseph's on Christmas Eve.

Summer Hardey said...

Looks like a fun party. Sorry we missed it! We'll see you guys on Saturday. Hope you had a nice Christmas!