For those of you who have sent your first child to Kindergarten for the first time already, you know pretty much what I've been feeling this last week, If your child has a potentially life-threatening allergy then you might know exactly what I've been feeling this last week.
From the first time Ella had her first reaction to Peanut Butter at 15 months of age, I have not let down my guard very much, I've tried to stay relaxed, tried not to stress the things I can't control, but I have controlled the things I can pretty strictly. By paying attention to my instincts, (and by that I mean the promptings of the Spirit as well as my own logic etc.) we have managed to keep her alive and thriving and ready to go to Kindergarten.
She is anxious to get there, to be helpful to the teacher, to teach the other kids how to tie their shoes, to bring about World Peace in a day. I am anxious for her to go, anticipating the freedom that one less body, however small, allows on grocery shopping days etc.
I am also terrified, the two times she has had to receive emergency medical attention were both times I wasn't with her. In both cases, I guess it could have been me, I can be flaky with the best of them, I forget things all the time, but it is a testament to the gifts of intuition that come with motherhood that she hasn't had more reactions. So you can imagine that the prospect of her leaving my care, even for a few hours a day, gave me some anxiety.
If you are feeling anxious along with me right now I encourage you to take a deep breath and let it go, let it all go!
We met with the school nurse and Ella's new teacher last Friday, and I am breathing much more freely now. The Nurse was kind and direct and helped me to see that as food allergies have become more prominent they are used to dealing with all the precautions and remedies associated with the issues. The nurse was great, but surprisingly, the greatest relief came from a few simple words uttered by the teacher, who said "My son has a peanut allergy too." She is used to reading labels, scouting a group of children for signs and smells of PB, washing and wiping down tables and chairs, and though I am still preparing Ella in every way I can, I am no longer feeling the dread of letting her go.
This isn't the closest school to our home, it isn't technically even our school district (though only by a block or so) but for a variety of reasons we applied for and received a transfer for her to go to her new Elementary school. We were told that another Kindergarten teacher there was "the best teacher I have ever known, in any grade" and so of course I hoped that Ella would be assigned to that teacher. Thankfully I do not control the universe and now, when I cry a little tomorrow morning as I send Ella into class, it will only be the usual neurosis of a parent sending their little one off to the world.
6 comments:
What a blessing to get that teacher. I hope Ella really enjoys school. The fist week will be the hardest then it will be just part of life after you get used to her being gone.
I was so happy to see you and the girls this morning. You looked calm as a cucumber! Ella is going to love her new school! We'll see you again soon. I love running into you like this!
ohhh, I am so grateful that 19 days from the cutoff is what allows me to keep my first baby home for one more year. I know she is ready, but I am not. Let me know how you do it and enjoy letting Liana be THE big girl...she will excel and enjoy.
Thank you for pointing out fancy nancy...I have heard, but did not look too much into it...saw the books and fell in love. Emi has been devouring Eloise and although I love the length and vocabulary (don't forget the accent), I think she is too rude and spoiled to be read about EVERY day.
much love,
marylouise
anomyous 2
I'm a big.Eloise fan
can't wait to see a fancy nancy- Can't wait to see Emi and her little brohter. and hope to see all the A U
also some time
xxx Hugs 2
I'm so glad Ella has a teacher who truly understands the consequences of of peanuts. Most of us do not get it if we haven't been exposed to how serious it can be. You're doing great MOM! Hang in there.
Rhonda
Oh Jannah, it is so nice to "see" you again (this is Sara Stauffer).
What a coincidence - my 5 year old who I just sent to kindergarten a few weeks ago have a severe life threatening peanut allergy as well that we diagnosed at 14 months. We have done the ER thing, we have Epi pens everywhere, and I too had to fill out a mountain of paperwork to get him into school with such a severe allergy. He's worn his medic alert bracelet since he was 2 and we've really tried hard to impress upon him the consequences of not paying attention to what he is eating, sharing food with friends, etc. But it is still SO hard...and I totally understand how you feel sending your little girl off to school! Good job mom :)
Love,
Sara/Chloe
Post a Comment